Sunday 11 March 2012

A run with Molly

So I have been chatting with Molly for a few weeks about taking her for a small run. The weather looks lovely on Sunday so we decide we will all go up the memorial park and take it in turns running round.

We get there and I explain the route to Molly. She is very excited to get going. I teach her about pacing the run and breathing steadily. I plan on taking us one kilometre round the park. Shouldn't be too hard for Molly but we will see.

We kick off and she is doing really well. We get to 500 metres and she is starting to puff a bit but I tell her to pace it out and breathe easy. As we approach the 1k she is red cheeked but seems to be handling it well. I suggest we push on and maybe go for the 1.6k which is a mile. She agrees and we push on. The last bit is all up hill and I reckon had it been more flat Molly would of reached the one mile. We stopped 100 metres short but I was very proud she made it that far. I said "Next time we will reach the mile.." To which she nodded. You could see how happy she was and proud that she managed to run that far.
I'm going to try and encourage more of that, I would love to see my kids being more active. Molly is like me and very competitive. She was already asking me how quickly I can run certain distances.

After this I wanted to see how quick I could run the 2k loop in. I ran about six weeks ago in a time of 10.30.  I set off and start at a good pace. I know I have the uphill bit at the end but I proper leg it any case. I glance down at my watch and see I'm making a good time. This pushes me on even more and I complete the 2k in 8 mins 32 seconds. Wow.. That is two minutes off my time six weeks prior. I also notch up a new PB for the mile in 6 mins 31s. Be nice if  could keep that pace up.. That's what I will aim for by September. Means I will be able to do the 5k in under 20 mins..



No comments:

Post a Comment