Sunday 25 March 2012

Let's try a swim and a run..

So it's Sunday and I have been planning doing a 1 mile swim followed by a 7k run this week. I'm a bit nervous as my legs feel like jelly after I get out of the pool swimming that sort of distance.
It's Daylight savings as well so I have lost an hour. Means I get up at 6am which is really 5am ready for the swim at 7am. I give my Dad a quick text as I know he is down and see if he would like to come to the pool. He happily agrees so I swing by and pick him up.
I jump in and push off with my 64 lengths. It goes really well and it feels much better swimming in the morning. Dad does quite a few lengths but as I hit 50 he is getting out. I stop quickly to arrange when I will be back after my run. He commends me on my fitness and says I have a good stroke. This gives me a boost and also means a lot as my Dad was and still is a powerful swimmer. When he was in the Navy he swam around the Rock of Gibraltar which is about 5-6 miles I think. Maybe more.

Once the swim is over I rush to get out and get in my running gear. I bypass the shower and quickly stick on my running gear. It takes me about 3-4 mins to get changed and I get outside. It's nice and cold which is lovely as I'm still sweating from the swim. I push off and notice my legs are a little jelly like. Totally different feeling to that of what I feel like after a big bike ride. I suppose it's because I'm using different muscles.
I don't know Tadley very well but have an idea of where I'm going to run. I turn on the voice on Endomondo so I can hear my lap times and also get an idea of how far I have done. It's a beautiful blue sky morning and I really enjoy running round Tadley looking at the different houses.. I get to the 5k running past the main Atomic Weapons Establishment gate. I know my way back from here so cut down through Tadley. I get back to the car having ran 7.2k in 37 mins. Really happy with that considering I had just swam a mile. Think I'll do more of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment