Saturday 17 March 2012

I think I'm addicted..

So the last few days have been jammed packed with all the disciplines needed for the Tri. On Saturday I went out with my mate Tom and we did a 26k bike ride and then a run. This was Tom's first try at double exercise and he handled it pretty well. The cycle was really nice and took us out past Bramley with a return route through Chineham. 
26k round Bramley
We completed in a hour and 10. Not very fast but not bad. Had to stop a few times as Tom mastered drinking and riding. He hasn't been on his bike for long so I think his confidence needs to grow. We got back and transitioned ready for the run. We set off round Winklebury for a 5k jog. Went really well and I felt great. As we approaced the 4k mark Tom started to suffer a bit. He was getting pain in his leg and eventually we had to stop as he stretched it out. I don't think he had ever got cramp before so he was a little upset. We walked for a bit and then he managed to jog the rest of the way. Once completed he loved it, I think he was suffering (like me on my first) but he felt an amazing sense of accomplishment. He was already planning the next one with me.. :-)

When I got home I had some time to kill, knowing I was taking Marie out for dinner I fancied a bit more on the bike. I jumped on the static and knocked out 10k more. That will do I thought.. I think I'm becoming addicted to the feeling the exercise is giving me.. I am very focused at the moment on getting my body fit. I think as the need for the weight loss is nearly over I keep wanting to see how far I can push myself.. This is the fittest I have been in my life and I am loving it right now. I have the house move coming up next week so I suspect I will have less time to train which depresses me a bit.. I plan a week ahead now of when I can fit in training..

So the next morning I take Marie out on a 16k bike ride that takes in Farleigh Wallop hill. It was the same route I took Mark on a few weeks prior. She is a little hungover from the night before so the first 10 mins take their toll on her. As we approach the hill I cycle on at my pace and tell her to keep cycling and not stop. Once I reach the top I wait for Marie. Five mins later she comes round the corner, she did it! She managed to get up the hill without stopping. We continue on for the rest of the ride.. Felt great and almost got rid of the hangovers..

I went for my Monday night swim last night. I went on the static before I went out to loosen up my legs. My right quad muscle is still aching.. I keep doing daily stretches which seem to help. I get to the pool at 21.00 and the water aerobics is still going. I really wanted the full hour to see if I can get to 1.5 miles.. They finally clear out and after the floor is lowered I push off. 21.08.. Here I go.. The first 20 are nice. I have the whole lane to myself.. I hit 30 and another swimmer joins me.. He is OK speed. I catch him up within about 10 lengths and he lets me go through. As I hit 50 I feel good. My goggles are much better now and don't hurt. They let a little bit of water in but it doesn't affect my swim.
I reach 66 and think only 30 more to go.. That is a lot though. I count my strokes between lengths (something to do). I'm doing 30 strokes for every length. I decided to work out how many that would be over 96 lengths.  2880 strokes of my arms to complete 1.5 miles.. If I keep this up I reckon I should see results on my shoulders and arms soon..

So I break down the last 30 needed in to 3 sets of 10. It makes it easier to count and also doesn't seem so daunting. I go past my previous PB of 84 lengths and look at the clock. 21.50.. Come one James the pool closes in 10 mins. Amazingly I manage to speed up and come in on 96 lengths at exactly 50 mins. So happy. What an achievement. Only been swimming 10 sessions now and I have managed to get up to swimming a mile and a half in less than an hour.. That has to be good? This is what pushes me on. The realisation that I can achieve goals that I would never of thought I could. I plan to try a swim and run on Sunday.. Heard they are pretty hard as all the blood goes to your arms and head as you swim and when you get out your legs are like jelly.. I will do about 50 lengths I think and then get out and run 5k round Tadley..

No comments:

Post a Comment