Friday 9 March 2012

I've done a Triathlon in 24 hours!

So after last nights 64 lengths I decided I would take a half day and try for the other two stages today.

I map the original 23k route which takes me out towards Hook and swinging back round via Mapledurwell. This was the one where I got a flat.. I'm kitted out now but really don't want to be stopping today.

Marie has to go to our friends kids party so the plan is to complete the cycle and then run over to their house which is about 6k from ours. All sounds good.

23k cycle route
Kick off and the slow start through town annoys me but I'm soon out towards Old Basing and my mind starts thinking about getting a puncture.. All looks good and I'm making good pace. Hitting 10k and it's taken me 26 mins. The route up towards Newnham is nice, lots of downhills and then a long winding up hill which I attack well. My fitness is improving greatly. I think the sessions on the static bike are paying off.
I cross the A30 (scary stuff) and continue towards Mapledurwell. Been studying the route and was nervous I may get lost but as I approach the turns my bearings kick in.. A long hill that takes me down to about 9kph takes me back towards Basingstoke. I complete the cycle in 56mins which is OK.. I want to do that in 45 mins so I reckon without the slow Town start I can shave minutes off.

I chuck my bike in the garage and set off towards Winklebury. He lives up on a new estate near the Hospital. I decide to run down by the Bowling alley and cut up through. Up to that point it was going well. Then I had about 3k of uphill running. I was proper panting and swinging my head but determined not to stop. I make it in a slow time of 35 mins for 6.3k.. Still not bad after doing the full cycle route.

6.3k run

After all of this I have decided that I will probably do an earlier Triathlon than the one in September. I just can't wait that long now to get it done. I have looked at the Blenheim Tri and its on June 10th. I'm going to wait to the end of this month and look to book it up. Good news is that it's one of the easiest Triathlons as the whole thing is contained within the grounds of Blenheim Palace and also the bike route is 3k less than the Reading one.. Watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment