Saturday 3 March 2012

Cycle & Run with my brother

So I managed to get my brother to come out on the cycle with me. I mapped a 16k one which took in Farleigh hill. Couldn't convince him to come on the run with me.. Give it time!

So the cycle started well, Mark came along with Julie's brother Mark. They were both on mountain bikes. They had cycled a couple of miles so they were nicely warmed up.

My bike felt so much better since the freewheel had been greased up. No slipping of gears anymore..

We all started well but within 5 mins I had built up quite a lead. I wasn't racing too fast but it was clear my bike was better for the roads than their mountain bikes. As we approached Farleigh Wallop Hill I warned the lads to keep pedalling.. "Don't stop" I shouted.. The hill climbs for about 2k and I was keeping good pace. As I approached the last bit my speed went down to 6kph. Need to improve on that. I looked round and the 2 Mark's were way back.. I got to the top of the hill and waited for them. I started my watch so I could deduct the time from my end time. Five mins later and they're at the top looking a lot sweatier than when they started. They both commented how unfit they felt.

Farleigh Wallop Hill

We pushed on and the next bit was a welcoming downhill sprint towards Beggarwood.  Got up to about 55kph.. Was getting a little nervous thinking how bad my legs would look if I came off..  The rest of the ride was great, mostly downhill and at a good pace. The boys were a lot slower but I think a combination of fitness and bike style would help them no end.

Got back in 53 mins and deducted 6 mins off for waiting time. 47 mins for 10 miles. Not great and need to be doing half again in the same time. Set out for my 6k run and felt really good. The weather was beautiful and as I approached the half way mark I checked my time and was encouraged to see I was doing the same time as earlier in the week. I ran on and finished at a 28.38. That was 9 seconds faster than the Tuesday one.. Really happy with that. Felt amazing, no tired legs and reckoned I could of gone back out on the bike..



No comments:

Post a Comment