Thursday 1 March 2012

Can I really swim a mile?

So tonight I would like to see if I can swim a mile. That's 64 lengths of the pool. To date the most I have swam is 54 but that was with two stops.. I fuel up and set off. Its pretty hard counting lengths when you know you have so many to go.. I'm always analysing things, I get to 20 lengths and think can you do that two more times.. At 30 I'm feeling good. Really busy in the pool tonight and lots of old women doing the usual one length and then rest.. Grrr

So when I reach 32 I see Darran and say "Half a mile done..." I carry on and get to the 54 mark.. I haven't stopped now and my goggles are starting to hurt my eyes.. They are total rubbish.. Need a new pair. I reach 60 and my arms are now feel heavy.. I push on and do the final 4.. Wow.. I did it.. Feel really great and what's more after a few mins rest I know I could do more. (I didn't)

I get home and tell Marie about my acheivment and explain that the goggles caused me more pain than anything else.. The little sweetheart has only gone and bought me a pair of triathlon goggles.. Love her.

So now I have reached a mile I think I'll leave it there for the distance challenge.. Now to improve technique and speed. I did the mile in 38 mins without any stops. I'm sure with a bit of training and better goggles I can smash that. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment