Friday 30 March 2012

Hiking the Brecon Beacons

So after moving house I'm off up the Brecon's with a 80lb bergen on my back. I'm carrying everything I need for a two night hike across the hills. The weekend was great, I got some nasty blisters because I borrowed Tom's old boots. We went on the SAS training route apparently. These guys run it in about 3 hours.. Madness. As you can see from the pic it was no small hill and with the added weight and beautiful weather it made the whole thing pretty tough.

We went up Pen Y Fan which is just under 3000 metres. The view was amazing and well worth all the blisters. We camped out in a forest of the first night at which point I decided to eat as much of my food and water to lessen the bergen weight the next day.

On day 2 it was much colder and me being me decided to wear shorts. The other lads were in full winter gear which did look nice. I moaned a bit, in fact a lot about how cold I was and my feet hurt. I love a good moan..
 As you can see from the pic I managed to borrow Tom's jacket (Yes I did bring some of my own things) which helped keep the cold out. My quad muscle hurt a lot that weekend. I went through a lot of Voltarol and ibuprofen to help manage the pain. I also bought one of those leg straps which seemed to help. I think my mind is strong but my body is starting to suffer from what I have put it through over the last few months..

As we walked out of the Brecons back into civilisations I felt an enormous sense of achievement. We had covered 20 miles in two days and my feet knew that. The last couple of miles killed and each footstep was a burning pain as my blisters hit the floor. We got to the pub and had some well earned drinks. That is when beer tastes the best! In the evening we went out for more beers and food. One more night sleeping in the tents (-4 apparently) and we went home. I was quite stiff but had to get back to pack ready for 5 days in Cornwall.. I was taking my running gear and bike so was planning some testing routes..

No comments:

Post a Comment