Monday 16 April 2012

Weekend of personal bests

So at the weekend I did a swim and a cycle and managed to beat my previous personal bests (PB).

On Saturday I went to the pool for 7am. I was the first there but within 15 mins there were about 4-5 swimmers in each lane. Had to keep swimming past a few people and they kindly let me through but it did get annoying. I was planning to do 70-80 lengths but I pushed on and in the end did 104 lengths (2600 metres) in under a hour. I never stopped and I reckon I could of gone quicker.. Really enjoyed it and felt amazing. I'm going to start a swim plan now that will improve my speed and stamina. I saw a great plan online by a Triathlon world champion. It seems pretty extreme to me and they say to do it only once every two weeks.

SWIM PLAN


1. Begin with a 400m warm–up, consisting of 100m swim, 100m legs only, 100m drill of choice (like catch–up, where your front arm stays out in front until the other arm comes through to touch it) and 100m swim.
2. Swim 50m with the first quarter of the distance flat out and the remainder cruising. Take 10 seconds rest and repeat three more times. Swim 100m at easy pace and then repeat the entire sequence.
3. Swim four lots of 100m, going as hard as you can for the first 25m and cruising for the remaining 75m. Take 15 seconds rest between each 100m and swim an easy–paced 100m at the end.
4. Swim three lots of 200m with the first 50m flat–out and the remaining 150m cruising. Take 30 seconds rest between each one.
5. Swim four lots of 50m using legs only, holding a float out in front of you. Do the first 25m of each one flat out and the second 25m easy. Take 10 seconds rest between each 50m.
6. Warm down with a gentle 200m swim.

On Sunday I went out with Tom for a bike race. We did our usual route which is about 25k. I intended on going hard and said this to Tom. Although it was a blue sky it must of been about 1 or 2 degrees. My feet was frozen and after 10 mins I couldn't feel my fingers but it wasn't raining so that was a plus. The wind was pretty strong too which for the first 10k slowed me up a bit.

I had Endomondo on and got to hear the lap times. As I hit 10k she said total time was 21 mins something. I knew my 20k PB was about 45 mins so that gave me a real boost to push on. Tom was doing really well too and only a few mins behind. As I got to 20k I heard her say 44 mins something. Spot on, really happy with that. If I can do that time on the day it will really bring me in close for a 1 hour 30 min time. No aching or anything after that too which means my muscles are getting better.

Did my weigh in this morning and have lost more weight, was quite shocked really. I have now lost 21lbs. I think I need to eat more carbs when I do my long training sessions..

No comments:

Post a Comment