Monday 2 April 2012

Newquay has lots of hills

So I'm now in Newquay for the week with the family and already I'm thinking about what I'll be doing. I have brought all the gear so no excuses, I suspect I will drink more wine than usual and after coming back from the Brecons with 2lb weight increase I need to shed some weight.

So as we drove into the holiday park I noticed there were some fairly large hills. They should make for a new challenge on the run & bike. Day 1 was taken up with driving and packing/unpacking. I decided on day 2 I would go out for a run. I sort of knew my way into town and got Marie's Dad Leon to come with me on the bike. We set off and my quad was still giving me pain from the weekends hike. The strap was helping along with lashings of Voltarol. (Thinking of getting them to sponsor me for the Triathlon)

As I approached my first hill Leon stopped and had to push his bike up the hill, I went on at a steady pace. I started in my craghopper cut offs and by the time I got to the top I needed to remove the trousers and make them shorts. Leon caught up and we continued down a very steep hill (see pic) which is much harder running down than up. (More muscles used)
As I got to the bottom I continued running around the area. I went back up the same hill and home. During the return I had left Leon behind, he did well but needs to get his fitness up. Glad he came though as it's boring out there on your own.
In the afternoon we all went out on a bike ride into Newquay which also took in a stop at the beach. Was really nice, not really a training exercise but I logged it on Endomondo. :-)
Day 3 saw me go out for a decent bike ride on my own. The weather was grey and grim, not nice at all. I thought I would cycle towards Padstow which was about 15 miles away. After about 4k of cycling up and down huge hills I decided Padstow was not really achievable. The B road I was cycling was pretty busy and I didn't like how close some of them were getting. As I approached Magwan Porth I saw a huge downward hill, I got up to 60kph down the hill, that's 40mph. Very fast and very scary. I also realised that I would have to come up this hill.  As I got to the bottom my computer registered 8k so I decided to turn round at this point. I selected the lowest gear I had on my bike and started pedalling up the hill. It really wasn't as bad as I thought. I made sure I stayed on my seat and kept pedalling. When I got back towards the holiday park I continued onto Newquay. Big mistake, once in Newquay it started to hail. They were big ones too. I did have my high vis jacket but it provided little resisatnce from the hail. I decided to cycle back and it took a while as I had left my glasses at home so when I got speed up the hail was stinging my eyes. Great cycle with some monster hills. Total distance 22k in a hour and 22 mins.

Day 4 I went out for a run again, I knew what to expect now and also knew the area a bit better so I had planned a half decent circular. I took Leon with me again and set off. As I got down the bottom of the hill in Porth I took Leon to this very steep hill which I think was a 1 in 4. Anyway Leon couldn't make it up the hill so started pushing, I jogged past and shouted "Catch me up.." He shouted back that he would meet me after I had run the circular bit. I jogged on and as I came back I couldn't see Leon so I decided I would run out towards the cliffs. I looked really nice and although was a little treacherous the views were amazing (see pic).  I finished the run in 48 mins and it was 8.4k. A long run for me and also taking into a lot of elevation. That was the last of the exercise as we went home the next day. Definitely going to look for some decent hills to practice on when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment