Wednesday 25 April 2012

Injured but back in the pool

After a miserable six days with no training I got back in the pool last night. I have pulled a muscle/tendon in my ankle which made me make the sensible decision to stop training for a period of time. It was hell on earth and every day I kept thinking am I out for good.

I Googled every known ankle pain trying to ascertain what was wrong with my foot. It seemed to point to various injuries which had come together to develop a weakness in the tendons. I haven't run for two weeks now and wont I think for maybe another two. I want my foot to get strong again.

What I have done is return to swimming using a float between my legs. This proved very interesting as only my arms would propel me along. The first 20 lengths were very tiring but after a rest and a drink I completed another 20. I did feel odd and turning at the end was pretty hard but at least I did it. I tried a few lengths with no float but my foot didn't feel strong enough to kick and I didn't want to risk a relapse. I'm planning on working on my upper body whilst my foot takes a rest. I know why this has happened and its down to pushing my running too far and too fast and simply over training.

I need to remain positive and know that my foot although painful will heal in time. My Mum has been giving me massages and applying Reiki to my foot. She also lent me a Novosconic tool that sends sound waves through the muscles to aid with healing. All of this is helping to speed up my recovery but I must remain sensible and not push it.

I plan on a "real" cycle on Sunday and maybe I may try a static one tomorrow. The ankle should be OK on cycling as it's primary role is to take the weight when you run. Again I will be sensible and stop if it hurts too much..

Keep your fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for me..

No comments:

Post a Comment