Thursday 17 May 2012

A new PB on the swim

So I went up the lake tonight and I wanted to try and go around it twice. That is 1500 metres or 60 lengths in the pool. I know I can easily swim that but being in the lake changes everything as previously mentioned.

As I got there I noticed there were a lot more people.. Its getting close to Triathlon starting so lots of noobs like me trying on their wetsuits for the first time. Quite amusing watching them trying to squeeze into them. A few of them in my opinion had under sized themselves and struggled to get their frame into the suit. That should be interesting for them when they have to take it off during the transition.

So I get in the lake, the temperature is 15 degrees. A little bit warmer although it takes my breath away again. I decide this time to get my body used to the temperature so I dipped my head and shoulders under the water for a few mins. I looked at the clock (17:35) and pushed off. It was quite windy and overcast which made it less pleasurable.

I got round the first buoy in no time and swam on, my direction was awful again. I kept looking up at the far buoy and was way off course. I need to work on that. I got round the first lap and looked over at the clock. It had taken me 15 mins, not as good as last week. I pushed on and by now my body was well used to the water. As I got round the back of the lake I noticed my swim hat was riding up my head. I decided this week to put it over my swim goggles. I carried on but was very conscious it was riding up more and more. I decided to sort it and quickly trod water and pulled the hat down. I swam off and decided for the last bit I would go full on. I had another swimmer coming up near me so I used him to gauge my speed.

I got to the end in no time and was chuffed to see I had done two laps in 30 mins. I am really happy with that time. I'm not doing that distance this year but if I plan to go for the Olympic triathlon I would be well setup with a 30 min exit time from the lake.

I think I have now decided swimming is my game. I wish it was running or cycling but like my father I am more made for swimming.  I am upping my swimming more now just to give my achilles a rest. I'm looking at a 10k swim for next year. Takes about 3 hours apparently, should be a challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment